Wednesday 31 August 2016

Hang Son Doong 50, the final tour.

Sparkler Son Doong

This was the final tour, both for me and Oxalis, well not quite as there was a Japanese film group going in a day after, but more on that later.

Happy to help

As we were walking down the initial hill, we caught up with some of the villagers (the women and children!) who were carrying some large sheets of tin roofing down the hill. They looked rather heavy so myself, Watto and some of the guide assistants decided to give them a hand,

Hanging boulder in Hang En

They were indeed very heavy and awkward to carry I managed so far but when I got to a steep slippery bit I decided it wasn't worth the risk so handed my load back to a small woman and picked a much smaller sheet from a small child, much easier!

Hang En Oxbow

Back at the foot of the hill I was reunited with my large bit of roof and once again set off, this time managing to get about half way to the village before swapping to a smaller load again.  I think our help was much appreciated.

Crossing the rivers by bridge

Conditions in the cave were good, even though the water levels were up and we had to use the bridges on the way in.

Doline One reflections

The crew that was following behind us were not just involved with filming, half of them were going to follow the film crew out, de-tackling and cleaning the cave as they went. This meant that extra cave safety experts were required and as Watto was flying home immediately after the trip, I was volunteered to go back in to help.

Doline Two

After seeing the clients safely out of Son Doong I turned around and went back to meet up with the Japanese film crew. Caving on my own in such a big cave was fun but I had to go carefully, never the less, I still got from the entrance to Camp One in twenty minutes and to Doline Two (where I met the group) in forty five. Quick times but I wonder just how quick some of the porter team could go, probably from the entrance to the wall in under an hour!

Second river crossing

It was a very busy Camp Two, but the Japanese and their interpreters were a really friendly group and good fun to be with. On the way out the water levels were not quite so high so we did the river crossings but had to use the high level path as it was raining heavily so the water in the river was likely to be too high.

Hang Son Doong entrance, seen for the last time

The Japanese had some really poor boots on and were slipping all over the place, but generally having a good time and laughing at themselves and each other, even as they slipped and landed on their bums!

Looking out from Hang En, raining

1 comment: